Everybody likes free stuff, right?

Just before Christmas, Influenster sent me their #FrostyVoxBox as a holiday gift.  In exchange, I'm supposed to write about it and tell everyone what I think.  This is actually the third such box I've received in the past year or so, but it's the first time that they've asked me to post my thoughts on my blog.  I have liked the past boxes they sent me, but this one seems the most like things I would actually buy -- with the exception of the makeup colors.

(If you want free stuff as well, sign up with Influenster - it's totally free and you really don't have to do anything.  If you meet their target demographic, they'll send you a box of stuff.  They ask that you post on Facebook/Instagram/etc in return.  If you have questions, just ask me and I'll be happy to explain... it's pretty easy.)


So, this is what I got.  It's sort of hard to see everything - but it included

1.  Rimmel Gentle Eye Makeup Remover
2.  Rimmel Scandaleyes Kohl eyeliner (in something that I'd like to call super-black)
3.  New York Color Expert Lip color (in Sugarplum)
4.  Celestial Seasonings Candy Cane green tea
5.  McCormick Gourmet all-natural Thyme (yes, a bottle of thyme)
6.  Cherry Fruit Vines bites
7.  Boots No. 7 Protect & Prevent (teeny sample envelopes)
8.  Eco-Tools style & smooth hairbrush.


I'll start with the makeup - because this morning I used both the eyeliner and the lipstick.

The eyeliner is just too much for me.  It's VERY dark.  It goes on  nice and smooth and smudges a little bit when I want it to (notice that I completely removed it above my eye on the right side?), but it's just too dark.  I got a soft grey eyeliner in a different brand recently, and while the Rimmel liner is a little smoother going on, the color makes it difficult to think I'll wear it again -- at least not to work.




The lip color was good for me.  It was called "sugarplum" and looked very odd in the tube, but it actually looked really nice on me.  It was soft and smooth, but it didn't stay put very long.  I'm pretty sure it said "long lasting" on the tube.  If so, it lied.

**A note on the colors** 

I have received makeup in every VoxBox Influenster has sent me.  Without fail, the colors have been wrong for me.  This lipstick is actually the exception.  I have gotten insanely black mascara and eyeliner, some blood-red lipstick and some weird purple eyeshadow.  The products themselves haven't been bad, but the colors are weird.  I think this has much more to do with my coloring than Influenster's choices.  The majority of the population can probably wear super-black eyeliner and purple eyeshadow.  I'm just not one of those people.


Ok... now to make quick work of the rest of those things in the box...

The makeup remover - was helpful in removing the eyeliner.  I am out of makeup remover, so it came in handy.  Had it not been for this, I'd probably have to wear the eyeliner to work again tomorrow.  It's not really going anywhere on its own.  I don't buy a lot of makeup remover.  I typically get it when it comes bundled with something else.  This was no better or no worse than anything else I've used and I got a good sized bottle, so it will probably last me a long time.

Fruit Vines bites -- super delicious.  They taste like regular fruit vines, which I love, but come in a bite-size format.  They are like Cherry Nibs, which I also love.  Really, I just love red licorice.  

Tea -  eh.  It's peppermint green tea.  Not a fan.

The Boots serum was tiny.  It's supposed to make my skin fabulous, but I only got a couple applications of it, so I can't understand how that's going to make me fabulous.

McCormick's Gourmet Thyme -  I'm not sure how this is different than regular Thyme.  It's in a slightly fancier bottle.  I did use some of it on my Christmas prime rib, but again, I don't know how that's different than if I would have used regular Thyme.  It doesn't seem to be much (if any) fresher or lusher, or whatever.  It's dried thyme.



Last but not least, the hairbrush.  You can see that pretty well in the original picture.  It's a really great brush made with bamboo.  I've only used it a couple of times, but it's a pretty fabulous brush.  If I needed to buy a new hairbrush, which I don't now because I got one for free, this is the type I would buy.  I'm fairly certain it will last quite a while, which makes me happy.  :D


So, that's it.  In exchange for a box full of free stuff, I tried it out and gave my opinions.  Clearly, I'm not paid for this in any way (aside from in free stuff), because I think some of the stuff is terrible.  And there you have it... free stuff 101.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Working in the coal mines...

Customer Service Fail

On teaching...