Sometimes teaching is mind-blowingly weird...

Today, I had the dumbest argument with a student.  I put a two part journal question on the board and made sure to explain that the students had to answer both parts.  My no-exceptions journal requirement is 1/2 page of writing.  (As you read this, remember, I teach high school).

Student:  Does each question need to be half of a page?

Me:  No.  Just 1/2 page total.

Student:  So?  A full page?

Me:  No.  The total you need to write for the two is 1/2 page.

Student:  How about you just tell me how many sentences to write for each question.

Me:  I don't care.  I just need you to write a total of 1/2 of a page.

Student:  So, I need to write a full page? (I thought at this point he was kidding, but he was not)

Me:  No.  Just 1/2 page.  (At this point even other kids are trying to help me)  Is part of this unclear?  I'm not sure what you're missing.  I just need you to write 1/2 of a page.

Student:  Why are you calling me stupid?  Why can't you just tell me what you want??

Me:  I just want 1/2 of a page.

Student then screams and bangs his forehead on his desk.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So... now it's over...

The end of an era

The State of... everything that's not okay.